Overview of Microsoft Office 365 Features
There is not a year that goes by that Microsoft does not impress its consumers by adding some form of cutting edge technological development to its already awe-inspiring product offering. This time around, the state-of-the-art development that the creative minds at Microsoft have designed is that of Office 365. Allow NOYNIM IT Solutions located in Denver, Colorado to introduce you to the features of this new cloud-based technology.
Simply put, Microsoft Office 365 is the cloud version of the Office Suite that you (most likely) use on a daily basis. In order to use the latest version of Microsoft Office, you will need an internet connection, a Microsoft Office 365 account and the ability to download the Office software; after which you can go ahead and start working with your new cloud-based Microsoft Office applications.
Even though it may be tempting to jump right in and join the millions of users already utilizing Office 365, prior to subscribing, it’s recommended to discuss your businesses’ requirements. NOYNIM’s Microsoft experts are qualified to help you determine which Office 365 applications will best fit your business. Below are some fundamental reasons that will aid you in deciding whether or not Office 365 is the way to go.
As previously stated, Microsoft Office 365 is a cloud-based version of Office, but do you know what exactly ‘cloud-based’ means? The technology industry uses the term ‘cloud’ to refer to any hosting service that is not located in your office. Essentially, this off-site hosting service is done via the Internet. As you are working with Microsoft Office 365, you can store your files locally, or you can upload and sync your files with Microsoft’s cloud. The cloud-based method of storing your files is quite beneficial, as if you are required to work on a device or in a location that does not have the Office suite downloaded, you can always log into your account via the web to access your files.
When consulting with an IT professional about utilizing Office 365, one of the most important things you need to inquire about is system specifications. Similar to most software programs, Office 365 requires certain system specifications in order to run efficiently. Here is a short list of the specifications you should ensure your system has before installing Microsoft Office 365:
- A supported version of Windows operating system
- OS X 10.6 (or later) for Mac Users
- Internet Access (needed to install, activate and manage your Office 365 subscription)
- Supported Internet Browser
- For Windows Users, 3 GB of Available Space on your Hard Disk; Mac Users need 2.5 GB
- For a 32-bit System, 1 GB RAM; For a 64-bit System, 2 GB RAM
- For Windows Users, 1GHz Processor; For Mac Users, Intel Processor
This is not to say that Office 365 cannot work on an older system; however, the program will run painstakingly slow. If you are looking to subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 but are using an older system, it is best you speak with a NOYNIM representative about a system upgrade prior to getting started with your Office subscription.
Now that you have been introduced to the system requirements of the Microsoft Office 365, it is time you became familiar with the subscription costs. You can opt to subscribe to an Office 365 plan for your business or your home. The business subscription costs are as follows:
- Small and Midsize Business:
- Office 365 Small Business: Annually – $60.00 ($5.00 per month/user); OR – $6.00 per user/billed monthly. User maximum of 25.
- Office 365 Small Business Premium: Annually – $150.00 ($12.50 per month/user); OR – $15.00 per user/billed monthly. User maximum of 25.
- Office 365 Midsize Business: Annually – $15.00 per month/user (this subscription plan is an annual commitment). User maximum of 300.
- Enterprise: All Enterprise business plans have an annual commitment, and an unlimited user maximum.
- Hosted Email (Exchange Online Plan 1): $4.00 per month/user
- Office 365 Enterprise E1: $8.00 per month/user
- Office 365 Enterprise E3: $20.00 per month/per user
If you wish to have Office 365 on your home computer, you can subscribe to the Home Premium plan for $99.99 per year (or $9.99 monthly). This plan can work with five Macs or five PCs and five mobile devices.
NOYNIM’s Microsoft Office 365 experts can help you determine the best Office 365 plans for your business. Keep in mind that the applications that you get will be dependent on the plan you selected when subscribing. However, a majority of the PC plans will include apps such as: Publisher, OneNote, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word. On the other hand, the business plans for Mac computers do not come with Access, Publisher or OneNote.
Like most businesses today, you are probably concerned about security risks when using the cloud. However, by talking to a company that staffs Microsoft Office 365 experts like NOYNIM, you will be able to better understand the best practice security measures that are being taken by IT companies to ensure that consumers who use the cloud are protected.
With that being said, here are a few of the security features of Office 365:
- Office 365 allows you to set permissions and supports encryption
- Your files are saved offsite in dedicated data centers with high level security
- The same Trust Center and user-lever security preferences that are used in the Office desktop version is used in Office 365
- Controls comply with FERPA and HIPPA
- ISO standards have certified Office 365 as being compliant
- Because of the encryption features on Office 365, anyone without permission cannot read your files.
Microsoft Office 365 has a ton to offer, and NOYNIM’s staff of experts can help answer any of your questions.